OUYA CREATE Game Jam, Day 10:
The game is done! I’ll be prettying up the start menu tomorrow along with some last minute testing, but that’s probably about it. I’ve gotta leave myself lots of time to make the required trailer tomorrow!
The main additions today were two floating UFOs you need to attack and kill to win the game.
My wife and I tested out the game quite a bit. Some really good AI improvements were made as a result, and one pretty nasty bug where the next round would run crazy slow some times.
The desktop I’m working on was out of commission for a bit today while I installed new video drivers on it to fix some pretty nasty crash issues I was running into, so I recorded about 36 different sounds for the game today. Most of the sounds were just me saying goofy lines for the robots. There are hit sounds, but there actually aren’t weapon sounds still because of how much shootin’ is generally going on in the game. You wouldn’t be able to hear anything else! The hit sounds give you most of the feedback you’d need, anyhow.
When I first imported the sounds into my Unity game and sent it to the OUYA, everything tanked and ran terribly slow. Fortunately, setting them all to decompress on load saved my arse. I’m still not sure if the original “compressed in memory” setting is really that much slower on this device. It could just be that decompressing all of that audio finally got the Android OS to give me a bigger chunk of memory to play with :P.